As a CEO of a time-tracking software company, I need to know what my competitors are up to. That means I’m often researching about and/or playing around with their products, you know, it’s part of the job. Thus, this Paycom review. Here, I share my findings from that research, giving credit to those competitors where credit is due and being honest about which products I believe you really need to avoid. And so, there you have it, this Paycom review, and in it, I try to be honest, fair, and insightful…
This Review Covers:
- What Do Users Like About Paycom?
- What Don’t Users Like About Paycom?
- What Pricing Plans Does Paycom Offer?
- What are the Standout Features of Paycom?
- Positive User Highlights
- Negative User Highlights
- What are Paycom’s Ratings from Other Review Sites?
- What’s My Final Verdict on Paycom?
Paycom, the all-in-one human capital management (HCM) system, caught my attention with its promise of streamlining various HR functions like payroll, HR management, and talent management under one roof. This software seems to tackle a wide range of HR needs, including payroll processing, onboarding, attendance tracking, performance management, and benefits administration. The fact that it also offers tools for talent acquisition is a big plus for businesses seeking to strengthen their workforce.
One thing about Paycom that really stands out to me is the employee self-service functionality. It’s like giving employees the keys to their own HR department. The ability for employees to update personal information, check pay stubs, and manage benefits on their own not only empowers them but also reduces the workload for HR professionals. This could potentially lead to a happier and more engaged workforce.
What’s impressive is that Paycom prides itself on user-friendliness. With an intuitive interface and a mobile app, it caters to both seasoned HR experts and newcomers to the field. And if you run into any roadblocks, their customer service team is ready to help.
However, I’ve noticed a couple of downsides. While Paycom offers an array of features, some users might find the extensive options and reports overwhelming. It’s worth considering whether your team can effectively navigate this complexity. Additionally, Paycom doesn’t have specific integrations with other providers, which could be a drawback for businesses with diverse software needs. They do, however, have custom converters for their new clients to ensure smooth data migration from other service providers into Paycom.
I was also surprised to find that the quality of their customer service is inconsistent. Based on my research, it appears that Paycom’s customer service often falls short in delivering timely responses or solutions to their customers. Additionally, there seem to be instances where the service representatives lack proper training on the company’s products and services.
What Do Users Like About Paycom?
- User-friendly HR solution
- Self-serve feature
- Webpage and mobile option
- Centralized platform
What Don’t Users Like About Paycom?
- Can be overwhelming at first
- High pricing plan
- Inconsistent customer service quality
- Charges incurred for certain service
What Pricing Plans Does Paycom Offer?
Paycom does not list their pricing plan on its website. Customers are required to request a demo to receive a customized quote.
However, according to Forbes Advisor, the setup fee for Paycom’s payroll services ranges between US$500-$1200, while the monthly fees for each employee are $4-$6. The cost of payroll services differs based on factors like company size, industry, and the specific features needed.
What are the Standout Features of Paycom?
1. Unique Self-Service Automation
Paycom’s employee self-service feature allows employees to manage their own HR data independently. With 24/7 availability via Paycom’s mobile app, employees can update contact details, direct deposit info, beneficiaries, and more, reducing HR’s administrative load.
New hires can effortlessly complete IRS W-4 tax forms, I-9 verification, and other essential documents in the app, all securely stored for convenient access. By placing essential data at their fingertips, employees no longer have repetitive inquiries, enabling HR to focus on higher-value tasks.
2. Vault Visa Payroll Card
With Paycom’s Vault card, employees can receive a portion or all of their wages securely deposited, and enjoy the potential of getting paid up to two days earlier for increased flexibility. This powerful benefit makes payroll easier, diminishes check fraud, and eliminates the hassle of paper-based payroll.
It not only saves employees from check-cashing fees but also delivers freedom through no activation fee, monthly fee, or minimum balance requirements. With access to Visa Offers and Perks, employees can manage their finances better.
The Vault card operates wherever Visa debit cards are accepted, offering convenient cash access through no-fee Allpoint ATMs and compatibility with mobile wallets like Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay.
3. Talent Acquisition
Paycom’s talent acquisition suite stands as a powerful solution, seamlessly combining automated hiring and staff management in a single recruitment software. This suite transforms recruitment, hiring, and onboarding into an efficient, compliant process that guarantees top talent doesn’t slip through the cracks.
Tools such as Applicant Tracking and E-Verify enable targeted candidate outreach, while Enhanced Background Checks provide comprehensive insights on employee candidates for informed decision-making. With Paycom, new hires can self-onboard before Day 1 ensuring a smooth transition.
4. Time and Attendance
Whether you operate with a single or multi-clock setup, Paycom offers diverse clock-in options. Employees can use their mobile self-service app, web-based time clocks, kiosks, or hardware terminals, including biometric and badge-swipe methods.
With Paycom’s employee attendance software, you can search for timecards with missing punches, PTO, bonuses, and more. You can also batch-edit punches or hours, and implement rules for rounding, shifts spanning midnight, bonuses, differentials, and holidays worked.
To prevent incorrect reporting and time theft, including buddy punching, Paycom has a Geofencing and Microfence™ feature. These tools ensure clock-ins and outs only occur within designated boundaries, promoting accurate attendance recording.
5. HR Management
Paycom’s HR management software is designed to align with ever-changing state and federal regulations. They have tools such as Government and Compliance, Personnel Action Forms, Documents and Checklists, and Enhanced ACA and COBRA Administration to bolster your compliance efforts.
Paycom also provides customizable reporting features including Direct Data Exchange, Report Center, and 401(k) Reporting. This helps you to make well-informed decisions, and secure company, and employee data while maximizing HR tech investments.
Besides that, to enhance employee engagement, Paycom has an “Ask Here” feature and Paycom Surveys that provide channels for employees to ask questions and voice their opinions. On another hand, tools like Manager on-the-Go and Benefits Administration simplify previously challenging HR tasks.
Selected Positive User Feedback:
- “An excellent central location for all company information and communication.” – Kendall D. (Source GetApp)
- “I love the web page and mobile feature, this is extremely helpful when approving time cards remotely.” – Gabriel J. (Source GetApp)
- “This product really reduces administrative work.” – Kevin C. (Source Capterra)
- “The mobile app is so, so easy to access and navigate! I use it the most for time entry, submitting expenses, and listening to our company training through the learning management section while travelling.” – Happy Camper (Source App Store)
- “The Paycom app is very helpful in performing tasks from my phone, a great convenience.” – Nahho (Source App Store)
- “Easy to use and navigate for managers to monitor team members’ time.” – AlyssaS. (Source G2)
- “It allows the user to clock in on their phone, look at a paystub, request time off.” – Kristin N. (Source Capterra)
- “I like how easy it is for employees to use, and put in their hours. In addition, employees can edit any changes to their hours without any issues.” – Dakota S. (Source Capterra)
- “Easy to set up/install, I like that I can access my onboarding documents at any time.” – Samantha F. (Source Capterra)
- “The UI and ease of use are at the top of the market. Large easy blocks and buttons to click on make daily use very easy.” – Tony B. (Source Capterra)
- “Having all of our policies and HR information in one location for employees to have easy access has been a game changer.” – Joanna S. (Source G2)
- “Great customer service, easy to use for both the employer and employee, so many different products; I can do everything within Paycom.” – Melisa M. (Source G2)
Selected Negative User Feedback:
- “I do not think the Paycom support team understands their product.” – Pete S. (Source Capterra)
- “A lot of bells and whistles when things could just be an easy click.” – Adam C. (Source Capterra)
- “Maybe the app could be more friendly. I think it need a better UX design.” – Miguel G. (Source Capterra)
- “The pricing could have been better than other software.” – Valerie N. (Source Capterra)
- “I’m sure others probably love Paycom but between the lacking customer service and it not being quite as functional and intuitive as other HR-related platforms, it feels very average to me.” – Heather B. (Source Capterra)
- “Everything is a workaround, rather than working the way it was promised to when we were being sold the product.” – Michelle D. (Source GetApp)
- “Requires wire transfer for first two cheques. The system still hasn’t caught up to how employees think about HSA’s. Employees think of contributions to their HSA’s in terms of how much comes out of each paycheck and not how much they want to contribute on an annual basis.” – Tony B. (Source Google Play)
- “I don’t love how there are sometimes multiple places where certain information has to be updated (i.e. Position Management and Labor Allocation). It only integrates with certain softwares.” – Mary Landis M. (Source G2)
- “Price is a bit much. There are lots of things you can do with it, but every little thing comes with a price.” – Briandi C. (Source Capterra)
- “One thing I wish Paycom had the option for is taking an applicant that you have saved/generated under “Candidate Tracking” and be able to convert them into either the Applicant Tracking and/or creating a profile for them if you hire the employee.” – Miranda F. (Source Capterra)
- “Editing an employee’s hourly time sheet was probably the most annoying thing about this software. Integrates with only a few software.” – Kurt F. (Source Capterra)
- “Too many options at times which makes it difficult to make a process from scratch.” – Charles T. (Source Capterra)
- “I dislike the first two checks we have to do a wire transfer. As that cost me $35 each time.” – Verified User in Real Estate. (Source G2)
- “The amount of reports offered is almost overwhelming. Cannot integrate with Quickbooks. ” – Karen S. (Source G2)
- “I had a bit of trouble understanding some of the lingo when it came to tax set-up, earnings, and deductions.” – Jessica B. (Source G2)
- “Too many options to set up at times and some features not working correctly.” – Verified User in Staff and Recruiting (Source Google Play)
What are Paycom’s Ratings from Other Review Sites?
(As of December 2023)
- Capterra: 4.4/5
- G2: 4.4/5
- Google Play: 4.6/5
- App Store: 4.7/5
- Get App: 4.4/5
- Software Advice: 4.4/5
What’s My Final Verdict on Paycom?
Paycom presents itself as a comprehensive solution capable of unifying various HR functions within a single platform. From payroll processing to performance management and talent acquisition, Paycom’s array of features seems poised to address a wide spectrum of HR needs. Notably, its emphasis on employee self-service offers an empowering avenue for employees to manage their own data, potentially leading to a more engaged workforce.
The user-friendly interface, coupled with a mobile app, caters to users of varying expertise, making it accessible to both seasoned HR professionals and newcomers to the field. Paycom’s customer service commitment also garners recognition, promising assistance in times of need.
However, this rosy picture does come with some blemishes. The software’s extensive features and reports may overwhelm some users initially, and its lack of specific integrations could be a drawback for businesses with diverse software requirements. Additionally, the inconsistent quality of customer service raises concerns, as some users have reported delays and subpar assistance.
Overall, Paycom holds the potential to be a game-changer for HR management, provided that it addresses its customer service and usability issues. The comprehensive feature set, combined with its user-friendly interface, showcases the company’s intention to serve the HR needs of modern organizations. However, Paycom needs to iron out its rough edges to fully realize its promise and secure its position as a great human capital management solution.