Time off policies are used to determine the type of time off compensation, total number of days or hours of time off members are entitled to and how time off is being accrued.
Once a time off policy is created, you will be restricted from editing fields that can affect time off calculations. These fields include:
- Type of compensation
- Used to determine whether time off is paid or unpaid
- Paid – Time off is calculated towards payroll hours on timesheets and reports.
- Unpaid – Time off is not calculated towards payroll hours and is not billable.
- Schedule of accrual
- Used to determine how time off entitlements are given and accrued to team members
- None – Time off is earned immediately without proration.
- Annual – Time off is earned yearly as a lump sum on the set date and is prorated.
- Time off unit
- Used to determine the unit (days/hours) in which time off requests can be applied for a particular policy.
- All time off requested for a policy can only be applied based on the preselected unit set upon creation of a time off policy
If you have created a time off policy and wish to make changes to one of the non-editable fields mentioned above, we advice that you create a new time off policy to reflect this change and archive the previously created time off policy if necessary.
Lavender created a time off policy, Annual Leave, with an entitlement of 12 Days per year.
Once this policy is created, her team members will only be able to apply for Annual Leave in Full Days, time off by Hours will not be applicable for the Annual Leave policy.
Lavender then decides to change the unit used for the Annual Leave policy to Hours instead of Days. Since this field is non-editable, she will be blocked from making any changes.
In this case, Lavender will have to create a new time off policy for Annual Leave and select the unit type of Hours upon creation.
Once this is done, her team members will be able to apply for Annual Leave in Hours by selecting the date and respective start and end times.
Note: Hourly time off can only be applied for in full hours (eg. 3 hours), time off in hours and minutes (eg. 2 hours 30 minutes) is not applicable at the moment.
If the previously created Annual Leave policy in Days is no longer needed, she can proceed to Archive the time off policy. Once the policy is archived, team members will no longer be able to apply for leave using the Annual Leave policy in Days.
We are currently working on further additions to our Time off functionality where you will be able to edit leave balances per time off policy for each member if needed.