As a CEO of a time tracking software company I need to know what my competitors are up to. That means I’m often researching about and/or playing around with their products, you know, it’s part of the job. Here, I share my findings of that research, giving credit to those competitors where credit is due and being honest about which products I believe you really need to avoid. And so, there you have it, this review, and in it, I try to be honest, fair, and insightful…
This review covers:
- What Users Like
- What Users Don’t Like
- Pricing Plans
- Standout Features
- Positive User Highlights
- Negative User Highlights
- Ratings from Other Reviews
Hey! Let me tell you about ADP, a payroll and HR management platform that offers a wide range of features and caters to businesses of all kinds.
From seamless payroll processing to tax compliance, this software has it all. The software assists businesses in complying with federal and state laws, including tax filing, withholding, and W-2/1099 form preparation.
What I appreciate about ADP is that it goes beyond payroll and tax-related tasks. It also helps streamline HR processes, helping businesses with employee self-service portals, benefits administration, time tracking, and more. And with a customizable interface, you can tailor it to suit your unique business needs. Plus, I think it’s cool that ADP offers implementation and training support to ensure you’re up and running smoothly.
However, I must admit that one of the downsides of using ADP for your payroll is the cost. The software doesn’t come cheap at a base fee of US$59/month. Plus, the user interface is complicated at times and ADP’s mobile app faces a lag along with slow loading times and glitches. And if you’re expecting top-notch customer service, you might be in for disappointment.
What Users Like
- Automated payroll and tax filing services
- All packages come with onboarding assistance
- Multi-device accessibility
- Integration with other tools such as accounting software and time tracking systems.
What Users Don’t Like
- Lag in app
- Poor customer service
ADP offers a variety of pricing plans for its payroll functionality, which can vary depending on the size and needs of the business. Here is a brief overview of some of the pricing plans available:
Essential Payroll: At a base fee of US$59/month and $4/user/month, the Essential Payroll plan offers basic payroll processing services, including direct deposit, tax filing, and new hire reporting.
Enhanced Payroll: At a base fee of $109/month and $4/user/month, the Enhanced Payroll plan includes all of the features of Essential Payroll, plus additional HR management services, such as employee onboarding and background checks.
Complete Payroll and HR: The pricing for this plan varies depending on the specific features and services needed, and businesses should contact ADP directly for a customized quote. This plan offers a full range of HR management services, including performance management, employee training and development, and recruiting and onboarding.
HR Pro Payroll: Prices vary based on the business’s specific needs. This plan is designed for companies with advanced HR management needs and includes additional features such as legal compliance support and employee handbooks.
Standout Features of ADP
1. Tax Compliance Service
ADP’s payroll feature offers a range of services to help businesses comply with tax regulations at the federal, state, and local levels. This includes filing taxes and preparing W-2s and 1099s. The software helps businesses manage their tax withholdings, including a calculator that can help companies to determine the correct withholding amount for each employee. This can help reduce the risk of over or under-withholding and ensure that employees pay the correct taxes. Businesses can be sure that their tax filings are accurate and timely, reducing the risk of non-compliance and associated penalties.
2. Customizable Reporting and Analytics
The reporting and analytics feature in ADP allows businesses to create custom reports based on various criteria, including pay period, department, location, and more. Companies can also create dashboards that visually represent their payroll data, making it easier to identify trends and track key metrics over time.
In addition, ADP offers a range of pre-built reports that cover standard payroll and HR management needs. These reports include payroll summaries, employee earnings records, and tax filings.
3. Mobile-App and Customizable Interface
ADP’s mobile app offers employees easy access to their pay and tax information from their smartphones. The app is available for both iOS and Android users. Using the mobile app, employees can view their pay statements, tax information, and other essential payroll information wherever they are. They can also update their personal information directly from the app, reducing the need to contact HR or payroll administrators.
In addition, the mobile app enables employees to request time off, view their vacation and sick time balances, and check their work schedules. This feature gives employees more control over their work schedules and vacation time, increasing communication and collaboration between them and their managers.
Furthermore, ADP’s interface includes customizable dashboards allowing users to personalize their view of the platform and quickly access the tools they need. Moreover, the platform consists of helpful wizards and prompts that guide users through everyday tasks, such as adding a new employee or setting up a payroll schedule.
4. HR Management Services
The HR management services include employee data management, benefits administration, time and attendance tracking, performance management, and compliance management. These services help organizations streamline their HR processes, reducing the time and effort spent on manual administrative tasks. ADP also provides features such as wage garnishments and employee self-service portals.
Selected Positive User Feedback:
- “ADP is a great partner in handling our payroll from paying our employees to filing our taxes.”- Verified User in Insurance (Source G2)
- “the fact that it emails to all the correct corresponding people on a timely basis. that its ready right after our payroll is complete – for the most part”- Leah D. (Source G2)
- “It is easy to use, and the two-factor authentication feature is a nice touch” – Verified User in Financial Services (Source G2)
- “The time off functionality works pretty well, as well, and payroll elections are straightforward.” -Mathew L. (Source G2)
- “I like the Tax calculator the most because it helps me calculate Taxes so that I don’t get them wrong.” – Saqib M. (Source G2)
- “The information is quickly uploaded. I can also change pertinent personal information with ease. – Verified User in Medical Practice (Source G2)
- “Being able to customize reports is nice! I like that our employees can use this program as well, no problem.”- Verified User in Automotive (Source G2)
- “ADP walks you through the process of setting up your tax deductions, and simplifies breaking down your paycheck among your take-home amount and benefits. The setup for direct deposit was straightforward.” – Caleb K. (Source Capterra)
- “There are a lot of payroll options that users can handle themselves” – Emilie S. (Source Capterra)
- “This app provides clear dashboards for HR information.”– Hannah C. (Source Capterra)
- “Ease to use. gives you all of the information you would need.”- Mike N. (Source Capterra)
- “ADP is great for housing all your payroll and benefit needs! It is user friendly and easily accessible.” -Doris D. (Source Capterra)
- “It is easy to use and navigate as a user and provides accurate data.” – Sarah W.(Source G2)
- “Integrations, friendly to users, global view”- Gustavo J. (Source G2)
- “ADP Payroll has enabled me to reduce payroll processing time from 3-4 days to one day.”- Verified User in Construction(Source G2)
Selected Negative User Feedback:
- “At times I guess one of the downsides would be not having complete control over the software and depending on a third party to get something done ”- Verified User in Insurance (Source G2)
- “every week we have had to contact ADP to do the payroll validation – and sometimes our contact people are not available/easy to get to.”-Leah D. (Source G2)
- “Sometimes the Quick Clock feature is not available and I have to enter my complex password which is copied from LastPass.”- Emilie S. (Source G2)
- “They are strict on deadlines for when you file the payment. It’s not easy to re-write or cancel checks, but that is more reason to be responsible for paying people on time and submitting your timesheets on time.”- Meher M. (Source G2)
- “The time-off functionality is a little challenging to get the hold off at first but at the end of the day” – Mathew L. (Source Capterra)
- “Sometimes calling client services takes a few minutes of wait time.”- Julie Anne M. (Source Capterra)
- “I don’t like that there are multiple customer service numbers as opposed to just one.”- Verified User in Automotive (Source G2)
- “There is no free trial. Deel requires your team to have documents to move forward with their process.”- Sarah G. (Source Capterra)
- “Despite its global approach, some time could be difficult to meet the local customizations” – Verified User in Retail (Source Capterra)
- “ADP will hide the fee and make it very difficult for you to switch. They will not give you support or explanation when you question.”- Peggy C.(Source Capterra)
- “The only thing I don’t like about this application is that we can’t download payslips directly into our mobiles or personal laptops and also it does not have a separate mobile application.”- Verified User in Technology and Services(Source Capterra)
- “The product is somehow expensive.”- Adamu A. (Source Capterra)
- “The laggiest app there ever was”- Asiyarox (Source App Store)
- “Adp app just keeps loading when I try to log in, and it’s loading for minutes at a time. The app lags a lot. It says biometrics recognized, but then the wheel just keeps spinning.”– Dez H.(Source Google Play)
Ratings from Other Reviews
(As of 04/18/2023)
- Capterra: 4.5/5
- G2: 4/5
- Google Play: 4.4/5
- App Store: 4.7/5
I must say that ADP is an impressive payroll management solution that provides various HR management services. The software offers a range of features such as direct payment, tax filing, and compliance management, making it an ideal choice for businesses of all sizes.
What I like about ADP is its employee self-service portal. With this feature, workers can easily access their pay stubs, W-2s, and other essential documents. The customizable interface of the payroll platform also offers various employee management functionalities, including employee performance management and time tracking.
However, I’ve heard the customer service of the software can be a bit frustrating at times, with complaints of long wait times and unresponsive representatives. The mobile app also has its quirks, with some users reporting lags, delays, and glitches – irritating. Plus, I am on edge about its cost. Starting from a base fee of US$59/month, that’s quite a steep price point if you ask me.
In conclusion, I think ADP Payroll is appropriate for larger firms with sophisticated payroll and HR requirements, but it is essential to remember that the services are more expensive than other payroll software on the market.