As a CEO of a time tracking software company I need to know what my competitors are up to. That means I’m often researching about and/or playing around with their products, you know, it’s part of the job. Here, I share my findings of that research, giving credit to those competitors where credit is due and being honest about which products I believe you really need to avoid. And so, there you have it, this ClockShark review, and in it, I try to be honest, fair, and insightful…
This review covers:
- What do users like about ClockShark?
- What don’t users like about ClockShark?
- What Pricing Plans does ClockShark offer?
- What are the Standout Features of ClockShark?
- Selected Positive User Feedback
- Selected Negative User Feedback
- What are ClockShark’s Review Ratings from Review Sites?
- What’s my Final Verdict on ClockShark?
Picture a time tracking software that can chomp down your time tracking, scheduling, time off management, customer management, and job costing woes into bite-sized tasks. Yup, that’s ClockShark – or at least what it promises to be. In this ClockShar review, I’m gonna tell you if they do live up to that, or if they don’t have the bite to back up their claims.
One of the things I love about ClockShark is how user-friendly its time tracking feature is. No one needs to be a tech whiz to use it – everyone can easily track hours using their smartphone, web browser, or even a handy time kiosk in their office. Clocking in can even be as simple as a quick face scan, thanks to ClockShark’s advanced facial recognition technology. The “who’s working now” tab gives employers a good view of what everyone on their team is up to, what activities they’re working on, and even their locations if GPS tracking is enabled.
Scheduling is just as easy as time tracking with its drag-and-drop feature. Fixed and recurring shifts can be added one by one or in bulk by simply clicking “Add Shift” and entering a few important shift details. Employers can then copy or move around shifts along the calendar to adjust employee schedules.
Another thing I liked about ClockShark was its job management and collaboration features. You can track project progress right from the calendar and see the time spent for each one under the timesheets tab. Not only that, but you can also leave comments and attach necessary files under jobs so they’re easily accessible to all project collaborators.
ClockShark definitely has plenty of nifty features up its sleeve, but that’s not to say it doesn’t have its flaws. I promised you an honest ClockShark review, so we gotta talk about it’s cons.
One area where it fails to deliver is its mobile app. The app’s clunky design and frequent glitches have brought down its App Store rating to a measly three stars. And if you’re working remotely, data synchronization is a bit of a headache. For an app that heavily endorses itself as an ideal time tracking app for field service or construction businesses, reliable tracking, even with a weak network connection, should be a given. The interface could also use some work. As someone who’s big on user-friendly and intuitive designs, I don’t think it passes the cut.
But let’s not prematurely judge ClockShark on whether it’s not a good fit for your needs with just this overview. So without further ado, let’s dive right into this ClockShark review and sink our teeth (as sharks would) into its standout features and what else users have to say.
What do users like about ClockShark?
- Easy setup and launch
- Responsive customer service
- Who’s working now function
- Integration with QuickBooks
What don't users like about ClockShark?
- Clunky mobile app
- Difficulty adding sick days for employees
- Requires good connection at all times to work properly
What Pricing Plans does ClockShark offer?
ClockShark has two pricing plans, Standard and Pro, with base and per-user fees billed monthly. These plans are designed for various business needs, from basic to advanced. For those who aren’t sure if ClockShark is a good fit for them, the good news is there is a 14-day free trial to experience the app’s features first-hand.
The standard plan allows users to track time and attendance via ClockShark’s web and mobile apps. Aside from time and attendance tracking, the Standard plan also includes convenient drag-and-drop scheduling features to share schedules, complete with job and task assignments easily. Other valuable features that come with the standard plan include built-in Spanish language support, GPS tracking for location-based monitoring, job and task tracking for efficient project management, and manager roles and approvals to streamline supervision.
Users of the Standard plan can also take advantage of ClockShark’s third-party integrations. It’s not a lot, though. Currently, there are only eight direct integrations. But its integration with Zapier does widen its integration capacity.
Should users run into any issues, they can count on what ClockShark refers to as “5-star rated customer support.”
The base fee for the standard plan is currently set at $20 per month, which includes one free admin. To add more users, you’ll have to pay an additional $8 per user per month.
For a base fee of $40 per month, the Pro plan comes with everything the Standard plan offers, but this time with a Paid time off (PTO) management feature and Multi-department/office controls. These added features help streamline the handling of employee time off requests and accruals while giving larger organizations the flexibility they need to manage multiple branches or departments effectively.
Furthermore, it introduces advanced job costing controls for greater control over project expenses and Clock questions, which enable employers to gather specific feedback or data from employees as they clock out, adding an extra layer of customization and insight to your workforce management processes.
Much like the Standard plan, the Pro plan also includes a free admin with its base fee. Additional users will be charged $10 monthly. It’s definitely on the pricier side when compared to other tools in the market.
What are the Standout Features of ClockShark?
1. ClockShark Time Tracking
ClockShark offers users a fuss-free time tracking experience with its time clock feature. It works much like any other work timer. You select the job and task you’ll be working on and click “Clock In.” Users can seamlessly switch between jobs and tasks without stopping the timer. There’s also a separate button for when they need to go on a break.
Beyond these basic functionalities, though, ClockShark takes it a step further with GPSFence-enabled time tracking. With this feature, employers can raise geofences around job sites, and the app will automatically alert employees to clock in when they’re within the virtual borders and clock out when they leave. If employees do clock in outside the designated job site, employers will be notified via email so they can question and correct time entries if necessary. This feature makes ClockShark ideal for field service and construction businesses in ensuring their workers are at the right place at the right time.
Moreover, employees can clock in for their shifts on their mobile devices or the office time kiosk by scanning their faces through Facial Recognition technology. It’s the perfect defense against buddy punching.
All time entries are synced to employees in real-time, which is pretty convenient. I would have appreciated a better layout for the timesheets, though. It only displays the total time spent under jobs and tasks, not really when during the day these entries were made. That added detail would make timesheet audits a lot easier.
However, in the interest of making this ClockShark review a truly fair and revelatory one, I must say that sometimes, the time tracking experience is marred by the clunkiness of the mobile apps. It also requires a stable internet connection to work properly, or else it will get all sorts of wonky.
2. ClockShark Employee Scheduling
Scheduling can be a headache, especially when you’re managing a large team. Thankfully, ClockShark’s scheduling feature can help take some of that load off.
With just a few clicks, you can add shifts for each employee or your entire team at the same time. For repeating shifts, you simply need to choose the recurrence period, and shifts will automatically populate the calendar. There’s even a drag-and-drop editor that allows managers to quickly create and update work schedules from their phones or computers.
The schedule calendar can be viewed daily, weekly, biweekly, or monthly, which is great, so you can either zero in on the current workday or get a good view of what you have scheduled for the rest of the month. Project progress during shifts isn’t automatically updated on the calendar, which is a bummer. Instead, you’ll need to do it manually. You can mark them as either complete, in progress, canceled, or on hold.
Notifications will be automatically sent to employees whenever there are updates to their schedules. They can then view their shifts together with the corresponding job details and instructions. This takes away the need to go back and forth on what needs to be done for the day, which eats up a ton of time.
All of those things are great, but to keep this ClockShark review honest, it must be noted that there can be a bit of difficulty adding sick days for employees.
3. ClockShark GPS Tracking
ClockShark’s GPS tracking feature is a powerful tool for tracking real-time employee location alongside their hours. It works by collecting GPS data every 15-20 minutes from employee mobile devices while they’re on the clock. This will require employees to have the correct Location Permission settings; for newer devices, this means enabling Precise Location.
GPS data is displayed under the Timesheets tab as location pins. Clicking on any of these pins will give you access to details of the recorded location, the time it was taken, and the specific job and task the employee was working on. Another way you can check on employee location is via the Who’s Working Now dashboard.
Beyond location tracking, ClockShark’s GPS tracking feature extends its functionality to record and measure travel time and distance. This added capability is especially useful for companies that need to track and reimburse mileage expenses. By accurately logging the travel time and distance, businesses can streamline their expense management processes while ensuring that employees are fairly compensated for their travel-related costs – it’s a win-win!
4. ClockShark Job Management
ClockShark’s job management feature makes it easy for managers to keep track of jobs and tasks assigned to employees, all in real time.
Creating jobs is a breeze, requiring just a few clicks to get started. When you create a job, you can specify the associated customer and job location. You can even enable GPSFence, restrict employee access, and track labor budgets by setting the total hours budgeted for the job. When employees approach the set budget, managers receive email notifications to stay on top of project progress.
For each job created, employees can easily access vital information, including the estimated hours needed to complete the job, the actual hours worked, and the current “stage” of the job’s progress. However, they will have to update job stages manually, which can be a bother.
ClockShark takes job management and collaboration a step further by allowing you to leave comments and attach files directly under jobs. This eliminates the risk of forgetting important details from discussions, misplacing documents in separate files, or missing deadlines.
Team members, whether in the field or the office, can share insights, ask questions, or provide updates, ensuring that all relevant information is readily available for anyone involved in the project. With all this critical job information readily available, teams can achieve faster and more efficient job completion.
ClockShark can generate all sorts of reports, from job summaries and employee details to timesheets and time off reports. Plus, you can easily set the context for your reports by applying filters to pinpoint the data you need. This means you can narrow your focus to a specific date range or pay period, ensuring that the information is relevant and up-to-date. I do wish they offered visual reports, too. Incorporating more visual elements such as charts, graphs, or infographics could enhance data analysis and make it even more user-friendly.
Beyond reports, ClockShark also lets you generate invoices directly from job quotes, transferring each line item to the invoice. Tasks set as billable on employee timesheets will also be automatically added. Additionally, you can insert pictures of the job on the invoice to reduce inquiries and payment disputes.
You can view reports as PDFs, import or merge data with other spreadsheets in CSV format, and seamlessly integrate the data with popular accounting and payroll software like Quickbooks, Sage, and Xero. This eliminates the need for data re-entry as well as export/import hassles and overall simplifies your data management process.
Selected Positive User Feedback:
- “The setup and launching of The Shark (my nickname for it) were super easy. The customer support is fantastic.” – Buffy S. (Source GetApp)
- “I love the GPS tracking feature; it has been so helpful in keeping track of personal hours. Having some foreman clock employees in from their phones is excellent, too.” – Erin H. (Source GetApp)
- “The software is reliable, user-friendly, and affordable.” – Keiko M. (Source GetApp)
- “Their staff is very responsive to emails with any questions I have.” – Krystal C. (Source GetApp)
- “It will pay for itself almost immediately with time saved and better organization. I did a pilot for a client, helping them put better tools for managing resources and work in place.” – Marc S. (Source GetApp)
- “The GPS tracker is accurate and a nice feature. It’s been able to help me track employees and their clock times accurately.” – Megan M. (Source GetApp)
- “The ease of use is amazing, love the app for my crew, GPS tracking is awesome, and it makes my job easier to manage crew time.” – Anonymous (Source Software Advice)
- “They also have great customer service. Felicia did an amazing job taking care of my concern.” – Anonymous (Source Software Advice)
- “Software is straightforward to use, and user friendly with the help of video tutorial provided within the platform, and it is I can say one of best GPS and time tracking software.“ – Anonymous (Source Software Advice)
- “The software is straightforward to use. The tutorial for mobile use is excellent, and all our employees have been able to adjust very quickly.” – Heather (Source Software Advice)
- “Experience has been great. The staff has been more than helpful and always there to answer questions or help correct the issue if there is one, which has rarely been.” – Marla P. (Source Capterra)
- “Amazing and would like to recommend it to anyone who likes to work smart.” – Anonymous (Source Capterra)
- “I like the GPS location services, the ability to upload photos, the ability to upload reference documents, and my favorite is the who’s working now function.” – Anonymous (Source Capterra)
- “This has been an excellent experience, and everyone is happy with how it is working.” – Anonymous (Source Capterra)
- “It integrates with Quickbooks! It saves us many staff hours not to manually enter time for each employee each week.” – Leslie (Source Software Advice)
Selected Negative User Feedback:
- “I wish there were a way to track the employees’ phone usage while clocking in. I find a lot of lost productivity due to employees being on the phone during work hours.” – John K. (Source GetApp)
- “Staff inadvertently selects the wrong one, which causes downstream work for Admin personnel. We’ve chosen not to utilize the “Mobile” function as all our hourly employees must report to the plant.” – Cliff C. (Source GetApp)
- “Apps are clunky and hard to use. It is difficult to add sick days.” – Andrei P. (Source GetApp)
- “It doesn’t always work well if the network service is terrible.” – Tana M. (Source GetApp)
- “Employees has problems adding sick days. Sometimes we have problems with synchronization, the application on the phone does not synchronize, and the time is calculated poorly.” – Anonymous (Source Software Advice)
- “Nothing special to keep me using the app. Just grew bored and lazy of experimenting with this type of thing.” – Anonymous (Source Software Advice)
- “I’m still unsure about ClockShark’s Our hourly staff turnover is relatively high, and getting charged for a month of services for a person who left after three days seems costly.” – Anonymous (Source Software Advice)
- “Need good service or connection for it to work well.” – Abdul (Source Software Advice)
- “I could sit at my desk, clock in, and it would show me clocking in 3 miles away. I have a new phone with excellent Verizon service.” – Toni (Source Software Advice)
- “It’s rather disturbing that software integration is sometimes limited and tricky.” – Anne Marilyn (Source Software Advice)
- “Can’t adjust pay rate between tasks // keeps showing us the wrong time zone, we are eastern, and I believe it puts us in as central or western.” – Ina M. (Source Capterra)
- “Due to its issues and the requirement of a good connection always; my company had switched to T Sheets hated it.” – Anonymous (Source Capterra)
- “Mobile app is not upto mark, it is inconvenient. Doesn’t work on old devices. Synchronization is not that great so there is a need of having a program to upload information in little to no time at all.” – Anonymous (Source Capterra)
- “If a manager wants to put a sick day in for an employee, they have to go through multiple steps instead of clicking on the day and putting down the sick time. The user can disable the GPS function.” – Anonymous (Source Capterra)
- “The app does not run as well on older phones and requires good connection all the time; it sometimes used to have issues allowing employees to clock in or out had phones that were more than a few years old.” – Tara (Source Software Advice)
What are ClockShark's Review Ratings from Review Sites?
(As of December 2023)
- Capterra: 4.8/5
- Software Advice: 4.7/5
- GetApp: 4.7/5
- G2: 4.6/5
- TrustRadius: 8.6/10
- App Store: 3/5
- Google Play Store: 3.6/5
What's my Final Verdict on ClockShark?
As we draw this ClockShark review to a close, I must say that the software has much to offer, be it time tracking, scheduling, job management, or even payroll. It puts together all of these valuable functions into one convenient platform. And the fact that you can use it on your smartphone, tablet, web browser, or a shared time kiosk is a huge plus.
Its time tracking feature is gill-ty (pun intended) of being really easy to use, requiring only a few clicks to get users started. The four-digit PIN and optional facial recognition make sneaky buddy punching a thing of the past. And with geofencing technology, you can rest easy knowing employees aren’t not clocking in from the pub across the street.
The scheduling and job management features help simplify the time-consuming processes of scheduling employee shifts and monitoring project progress. Everything can be easily organized on calendars and timesheets by color-coding employees and projects. I also liked how project collaborators can easily communicate through the comment section of the project.
Now, I promised a fair and honest CLockShark review, so I must say that there are still some things that hold me back from giving ClockShark a stellar review. For one thing, the interface could use a huge improvement. The web app felt clunky and wasn’t as intuitive as I would’ve hoped. The mobile app, while easy to use, is riddled with bugs and glitches. It’s also close to unusable when you don’t have a strong internet connection.
Having said all of that, I think ClockShark would still make a good choice for small to medium businesses looking for an all-in-one time tracking and scheduling solution. It may not be the most reliable solution for remote or field workers, though. I recommend carefully evaluating the advantages and disadvantages of ClockShark to determine how it aligns with your organization’s requirements.
I hope this ClockShark review helps you make the right catch!
ClockShark is mainly used for tracking time spent on tasks and projects. Aside from these, the app also has features that can help with scheduling, tracking leave and PTO, customer management, and job costing.
ClockShark has two pricing plans, Standard and Pro, with base and per-user fees billed on a monthly basis. The base fees range from $20 to $40; per-user fees, on the other hand, range from $8 to $10. Unfortunately, ClockShark doesn’t have a free version.
Yes, ClockShark does track your location. ClockShark periodically checks your location every 15 to 20 minutes, triggered by clock-in, clock-out, or task-switching events when GPSTrak is active. In the absence of GPSTrak, your location is pinged in response to any clock-related incident.
I’d say that there’s no single best thing about the software.
ClockShark really is a fantastic all-in-one time tracking solution for small to mid-size businesses. It has a solid time tracking feature backed up with geofencing, four-digit PIN authentication, and facial recognition – excellent for avoiding buddy punching!
While there is a lot I love about ClockShark, it’s such a downer that the software needs a strong internet connection to function properly.
And, the mobile app has been reported by users to glitch and crash often – what a shame.